Saturday, December 11, 2004

ShortSharpShock

Welcome back to a very neglected blog. Much time has passed, but I'll be brief.

Flofe (who I may from now on name properly as Fiona, as Google gives this blog as the top hit for her nickname) and I are now together, and very happy to be so. I recently got a new SIM card for my phone, giving me 300 free texts a month. Most of this month's allocation has already been used up, though I can't imagine how ;-)

As I've said before, this blog was never intended to contain personal details, and will probably continue to follow that idea for the most part. Just accept that I will be purposefully vague about such things, while being tediously graphic describing the more mundane. It's how I'm comfortable writing this.

I have recently finished reading "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by Douglas Adams, and can confirm I will soon be reading much more of Adams' work - a very good book.

Uni is getting a bit better once more. I mentioned previously that my course wasn't as involved as I'd hoped it would be. About two days after that the lecturer changed gear and the course became taxing. So my last module ended with an 10am to 11pm session in the lab (the closest I can get to an all-nighter, despite what many a computing student would tell you is possible in the Glasgow labs) that I enjoyed except for WinZip freezing on me twice, each time requiring a slow system boot - at 10pm such a problem can make violence against your laptop screen seem reasonable.

My latest module, Security and Privacy, also started slowly but turned to programming practices for writing secure code - something that I was very interested in, and probably helped push me towards wanting to buy a book called "Hackers and Painters", which talks about the elegance of programming and how it's an artistic talent. That statement may include some artistic license, but it's self-supporting since I'm an artist!

7 Comments:

Blogger Stephen Strowes said...

"I mean, they're not gonna kill ya, so if you give 'em a quick short, sharp, shock, they won't do it again. Dig it? I mean he get off lightly, 'cause I would've given him a thrashing - I only hit him once! It was only a difference of opinion, but really...I mean good manners don't cost nothing do they, eh?"

3:11 am  
Blogger Steven Morrison said...

Well that puts me to shame - I hadn't realised I was quoting Pink Floyd. I actually got the title from a Therapy? single, but it's probably fair to say they got it from Floyd.

11:01 am  
Blogger Stephen Strowes said...

A Google search on "ShortSharpShock" itself did indeed return Therapy? first, but I suddenly had one of the crazy voices on Dark Side of the Moon in my mind. So *had* to post that entire section. :)

11:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Physically impossible to get that sofa up those stairs... You have to remove a wall!

Everything's just music Stevo!

12:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was thinking about you saying you'd read that Douglas Adams book and thought I suggest that if you like him you'd probably like some of my Robert Rankin (I said Rankin!) books. If you do ask and I'll give you a shot of "The Dance of The Voodoo Handbag."

"All I really want is a little head..."

2:24 pm  
Blogger Steven Morrison said...

First off, some people need to start signing their comments - who are you weird people!?! Though reading that last comment the name KG springs to mind.

2:31 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KG KG KG KG. KG, KG KG KG! KG. KG KG. KG.

Sorry, felt like I'd crawled into my own head for a moment there.

Malkovich, Malkovich!

11:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home